Welcome to our kitchen... blog

Gas Safe Register

Gas Safe

Gas Safe Register – what’s it all about?

If you’re fitting a new kitchen, you’ll need to know about the new Gas Safe Regulation which came into force 1st April 2009

What’s is Gas Safe Register?

There is only one gas safety register that you need to use. Look for the yellow Gas Safe Register triangle not the orange CORGI registration badge. Anyone carrying out work on gas must be registered with Gas Safe Register. If not, they are breaking the law and putting you and your family at risk.

Only a Gas Safe registered engineer is legally allowed to install gas appliances, boilers, hobs, ovens or fires in your home or workplace. You must only use a Gas Safe registered engineer for any type of gas work, including installation, maintenance and servicing. Gas Safe Register exists to protect you, your family, and your property from dangerous gas work. Incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained gas appliances are a major cause of lethal carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, and can also lead to gas leaks and explosions.

To carry out work on gas installations and appliances safely and legally, engineers in Great Britain and the Isle of Man must be on the Gas Safe Register. The 120,000 engineers on the register are safe by inspecting the gas work they have carried out. What experiences you have had, when using gas engineers. You can report good or bad gas work by using the ‘nominate gas work for inspection‘ service.

Who runs Gas Safe Register?

Gas Safe Register is operated by Capita Gas Registration and Ancillary Services (CGRAS) Limited, a division of Capita Plc.

Gas Safe Register is the official gas registration body for Great Britain (GB) and Isle of Man, appointed by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for Great Britain and HSWI for Isle of Man..

Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI as the gas registration body in GB on 1 April 2009. The HSE carried out a review of gas safety in 2006 which, after consultation with the gas industry, engineers and the public, led to the decision to change to a new gas registration scheme. The contract to run the new scheme was awarded to Capita and the Gas Safe Register was launched. The sole focus of the register is on improving gas safety.

Find a Gas Safe registered engineer

You should use a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out gas work safely and legally in your home. You can find a Gas Safe registered business on the database 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

All gas engineers should be registered with Gas Safe Register by law to work with gas. Always check a gas engineer is on the register before employing them to carry out work for you. And when your engineer arrives on your doorstep, always ask to see their Gas Safe Register ID card before letting them in.

What gas work needs to be done by a registered engineer?

Gas Inspection

All gas work carried out in your home and in certain commercial premises should be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Gas work includes:

  • installing, repairing or servicing a gas boiler.
  • installing or repairing a gas fire, gas cooker or hob.
  • any other work on a heat producing appliance, for example radiators or your hot water system, if it is connected to either a Natural Gas or LPG (liquid petroleum gas) supply.

What about DIY?

Never DIY with gas. You will be putting yourself and your family in serious danger from carbon monoxide poisoning and gas explosions.

Are you a Landlord?

If you are a landlord you have legal obligations when it comes to gas safety. Landlords’ legal duties apply to a wide range of accommodation including:

  • residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
  • rooms let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
  • rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways

Are you a tenant?

If you are renting a property it is important that you understand your Landlord’s gas safety responsibilities. These apply whether you are in public or private rented accommodation, or if you rent a holiday property. Make sure you know all you should by reading the gas safety advice for tenants.

Please share, if you found our post interesting

Trade Partners Welcome
Trade Account
Complete Units
Aconbury Complete
Allestree Complete
Cosdon Gola
Farringdon Beaded
Farringdon Shaker
Midland Gola
iPlan Helpful Guides
iPlan Beginners Guide Cover

Open our BUYER Guide (PDF)

iPlan Measure Guide Cover

Open our MEASURE Guide (PDF)